Sunday, December 27, 2015

30 days of Delhi

I spent my weekend watching three movies that I always avoid because they make me cry. Which is my way of saying that I spent my weekend crying. I seem to be some kind of a specialized masochist.

I’m finally settling down in the new routine of my new life, but I still miss my sabbatical immensely. The new house is very grown-up, and has almost everything. But that’s a reflection of how thoughtful my parents are. They were here the weekend I moved, and helped set up everything. Since then, I’ve been trying not to turn this into a pigsty, but there are days when it starts to resemble one. Every now and then, some or the other issue comes up, and I spend my days waiting for the repairmen to come and fix things. It’s not even a surprise anymore when they say that they’ll come at 11 and turn up at 4. I’m trying to say yes to most social invitations I receive, because I’m worried about going back to my old ways. But because of this, today is the first holiday where I didn’t have to go out or meet someone or do something. So far, I’ve met friends, went for dinners, watched movies and gone on one pub crawl. I also threw a little party at my place for friends from journalism school. It’s was fun, mostly. At least until I was left alone with just one of them and things went from bad to worse. I also met a blog friend recently, and it continues to amaze me how such great friendships started online because of my weird alter ego.

The most exceptional part of this entire month, however, has been the fact that I’m cooking. Or at least I’m trying to. Most days I am either too tired to cook, or too frustrated from my failed attempts to try again, so I order in. I now know a great place to order every kind of cuisine around my house. This is worrisome, and has to change. The other worrisome thing is how much money I seem to have spent in the last one month. I’m afraid to look at my bank statement because the number might give me a heart attack. I guess the scenes we thought were exaggerated for comic relief in chick flicks have some basis in reality, then. What am I spending all this money on, you ask. Oh, I don’t know. Dinners, birthday presents for colleagues, Secret Santa presents and Body Shop.

Work has been… interesting. I got my first scolding yesterday, but I shouldn’t have. Other than that, I’m still trying to find my place there. I spend all the time I’m awake in front of my laptop, so I’m getting very worried about my eyes. I may miss some things about my old job, but I don’t really miss it.

There’s still so much to do, so much of Delhi left to rediscover, but something’s amiss. I can’t figure out what it is. So until I can, I will continue to sit at home, and not change the channel when One Day, The Time Traveller’s Wife or Marley and Me comes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment