Sunday, March 20, 2016

I spent the last one hour reading March posts from the last eight years. In 2008, for instance, I was talking about exams. In 2009, I was talking about my then-boyfriend. In 2010, I was talking about being dumped by him. In 2011, I was talking about another boy. In the subsequent years, I was talking about work and being unable to manage my life with it.

In 2016, I can only seem to talk about weddings. It’s fashionable to talk about adulting and failing at it, but who’s actually winning at it? I don’t know anyone who keeps it together all the time. How are we, then, supposed to make this monumental decision of choosing someone to spend all our life with at this time? I’m not saying this can’t be done, because I know many happily married couples. But perhaps that is because they weren’t pressured into it? No one was telling them they’d have a heart attack if they didn’t choose someone to marry in the next few months.

I was home 10 days ago to attend a friend’s wedding. On the day of her pheras, just as I was leaving for the venue, another childhood friend came over to tell me he’s getting married. Arranged, whatever, that doesn’t even matter anymore. I was stunned into silence. Maybe it’s time I stop getting so shocked every time someone announces their wedding. I was very emotional that day, all these people I grew up with making such grown-up decisions and getting on with their lives. I am supposed to go back to Jaipur next month for a wedding, then again in May for another. I might skip one of them.

I could have gone home again this week for Holi, but because I was getting a four-day weekend off for the first (and probably the last) time in my life, I decided to take a trip to the hills with a friend. Someone asked me the other day, “what’s the plan?” For life, I asked. I don’t know. How do you answer such a question? My friends and exes are getting married all around me, while I am trying to avoid crises at work every week and ordering as many fruits as I can from Big Basket. That’s it. That’s my life.

2 comments:

  1. Ordering fruits is also a grown up thing to do. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You saved my life by telling me about the cut veggies and fruits!

    ReplyDelete