Tuesday, September 22, 2015

While driving to my zumba class this morning, I saw the metro. Because this is the city I live in with my parents, a car and a driving license, I never have to take the public transport. At the most I take autos from malls because I still can’t do underground parking (which should be the next thing on my agenda). It’s been almost four months since the Jaipur Metro began operations and I’ve seen it maybe thrice.

But this morning when I saw it, when I was already 20 minutes late for class, I almost stopped my car to just stare at it. Because in this city that is definitely not Delhi, the low-floor buses and the metro confuse me a lot. Every time I see them I have to stop for a second to figure out where I am. And every time I realize that I'm not in Delhi anymore. Even though zumba and yoga are so intense I can’t really dwell on anything in those classes, seeing the metro only exacerbated what I’d been feeling for the last couple of days – a yearning for Delhi. For the city, not the people. For my places, not my friends.

I don’t know why. Maybe because I finally have some time to myself? Maybe because I watch too much American TV and sometimes miss the Delhi life that didn’t really exist – the walking around markets, sitting in cafes laughing with friends? Maybe because it’s raining?

I could take a trip to Delhi, of course. I have lots of friends there. But there are a few, um, issues that I’d have to deal with if I go. And I don’t think I’m ready for that confrontation yet.

In other news, I’m desperately looking for amazing, devastating books to read. Please recommend?

1 comment:

  1. Read Peresopolis by Marjane Satrapi.
    I have fallen in love with it!

    ReplyDelete